Friday, May 28, 2010



SPOILER ALERT! Don't read this if you still haven't watched the final episode of LOST.

It's time for another rant I'm afraid as I find myself cheated by the ending of my favourite TV show and the fact that Gemma feels the need to justify it.

Since 2004, like many people, I have been invested in the story of the mysterious island. The 6 series have been brilliantly confusing and left you wanting more. We've had flashbacks, flash forwards and now we discover, at the 11th hour that the the flash sideways were ... wait for it ... purgatory. We'll there's a surprise, if for no other reason that there was a huge belief after series one that the island was purgatory. It's as if the writers have gone, "Oh, that's buggered that up, we've been rumbled ... I know, we'll introduce a flash sideways ... in the very last series ... and make that purgatory. That'll fox 'em". And so it did.

Gemma accuses me of not being to suspend belief, something I happen to think I'm very good at, especially with LOST (the polar bears, time travel, immortality, need i go on) but this flash sideways lark is a complete get out. So they're in purgatory, right? I get that, but they can't remember each other ... OK, bit weird but I'll run with it. Oh no, hang on, Jin and Sun can remember each other, but can't remember anyone else, or little things like, oh i dunno, how to speak English? So they both drowned together, died ... arrived in Purgatoryland, and what were they doing then? Watching TV, wondering why they couldn't speak English any more. It's then explained that they didn't all die at the same time ... but baby Aaron must have done, cus he's still a baby and the others or still the same age as when they were on the island. Imagine Sawyer, dying at 70 only to arrive in purgatory the same age as he was when he was on the island. He might think that was just a little bit odd, but then again, maybe not, and decides just to be a cop instead. Lapidus is on the plane so I guess he won't be in purgatory with the others ... oh, but Miles is? John Locke dies and he can walk but then arrives in purgatory and is in a wheelchair again? Would he not have thought something weird was going on? Juliet falls down a well and dies, wakes up in purgatory to find she's a nurse in the same hospital as Jack ... not only that, married to him??!?! At the limits of my belief suspension I could perhaps con myself into believing all this was going on if they knew they were in purgatory and just getting on with this but that's just it, the whole 6th series is hinged around the fact that they are remembering stuff from when they were alive, remaking connections and wait for it ... don't actually know they're dead. Unbelievable! It's a total farce. I could go on but it's making me mad just writing this stuff. Utter TOSH!

No comments:

Post a Comment