Monday, May 04, 2009



Naughty me has not been walking for a while (other things have got in the way) but I still haven't got around to posting my epic ... so here it is.

"Hardcore walking/climbing. Managed to do 2 munroes in a day with a total ascent of 1550m (compared with a total ascent on Ben Nevis of 1370m).

Now, I've had a bit of stick regarding my previous comments on the hillocks of Dorset but my legs would like the chance to have their say. Firstly, the facts.

"A Munro is a Scottish mountain with a height over 3,000 ft (910 m). They are named after Sir Hugh Munro (1856–1919), who produced the first compilation of a catalogue of such hills, known as Munro's Tables, in 1891."

As previously stated, Swyre Head in Dorset is the highest peak in the Purbecks at 203m which
qualifies it as a "Marilyn". A Marilyn is basically a piss take of a Scottish munroe. To qualify, the summit needs to be over 150m.

Now, I'm not being funny, but 150m???? Dorset doesn't know shit from pudding when it comes to peaks. FACT!

So yes, a great day, great views, 1550m ascent, 14km & 7 hours hiking but slightly disconcerting when you're looking DOWN on the mountain rescue helicopter."

No comments:

Post a Comment