Sunday, May 04, 2008

I've entered 2 short film scripts for the Bongo Reef "Losing the Plot" (www.bongoreefpictures.co.uk) project. The parameters were they could be no longer than 3 mins, had to be based on an allotment, and had to be dialogue driven. This goes against everything we've been taught at uni (show, don't tell ... dialogue is one of the 2 main evils in cinema, the other being flashbacks) but not really having a clue what I'm doing anyway, I decided to give it a go.

Seeing as I like Tarantino films (dialogue) and one of my favourite films is Usual Suspects (flashbacks) I'm not really sure I'm cut out for this scriptwriting lark. If film scripts weren't confusing enough, we've now moved onto TV scripts at uni which have a completely different format again. The script should be "action not movement" and "The trick of turning movement into action is to make it active and tie it into character." All very well, but I've not got a clue what all these things mean. Going back to the books, I haven't sold a single one in weeks. Full time writing isn't working out. I'm becoming quite disillusioned if the truth be told. Maybe I should just stick with surveying.

Gemma says that I should write because I enjoy writing and I've now shifted a million miles from where I started and have completely different aspirations. I disagree. Yes it would be nice to have the trimmings that come with being a successful author/screenwriter but my goal hasn't changed from doing things that people enjoy reading (or now watching). Whilst Gemma would argue that you should gain enjoyment from making the film or writing the book, I agree with my tutor. What is the point in making a film (or writing a book) that nobody is going to watch (or read)?

Ignore me, I'm having an off day ... if anyone's reading anyway :-(

2 comments: