Saturday, March 24, 2007

Ahh yes, with the clocks springing forward tonight, we know that Summer is finally here. This fact was reinforced as I drove to Edinburgh Airport last night and was pebble dashed with stones as I overtook a gritter on the M9. Here in Scotland, last week in snowed and last night, the gritters were out.
Is it any wonder the Romans gave up. Managing to conquer the rest of Europe (in bright sunshine) they got up here and eventually thought, sod that for a game of Roman legions. Fighting against tribes who spent 6 months of the year in almost complete darkness, freezing temperatures, cutting winds ... and kilts. Bopping a few Italians over the head would have been a doddle compared with day to day survival. Having survived 2 Scottish winters myself (albeit they've apparently been fairly mild), the changing of the clocks is almost a celebration. It's as if the summer months and light evenings are a reward for having put up with all that the previous 6 months has thrown at you. In a nutshell, I'm looking forward to my pupils adjusting to the new levels of light in the morning.
PS On the book front, I'm hoping to have the first draft complete my Sunday night (fingers crossed)

No comments:

Post a Comment